You asked us, so we asked The Line community. Here are some of the highlights – and you can read all the advice on our our Facebook page.
- Fern: My boyfriend and I ran into my mum and stepsister on our first date I then met his parents about a month later at Christmas! It’s different for everyone. As long as you both feel ok with it then it’s not really a big deal.
- David: I did a good one, after a few months basically introduced her to the whole family at once lol
- Glen: When you both agree you’re comfortable to!
- Tanesha: Just be yourself. They may not like you, or they will. As long as you show you care for your partner and that you care for their family, then their opinion of you doesn't matter.
- Mitchell: Introduce ASAP to let your parents know that you both are happy being together. Have a cup of tea at their place, go to breakfast lunch or dinner with them, or invite them to your place for something.
- Ethan: After you talk about it with your SO. When we are both comfortable then you go through with it
Some said 6-12 months, but no one could really explain WHY that timeframe (maybe it’s just a social norm in people’s heads??). And then a bunch of people said ASAP…!
BUT the strongest theme was talk about it together and when you’re ready, dive on in. Every rello and every family are different, so we reckon do what feels good and comfy for the two of you.