There’s no such thing as a perfect relationship – there are always going to be challenges. Maybe their parents hate you. Maybe they don’t get your amazing taste in music. Maybe your friends all say your public displays of affection are disgusting.
Some relationship quirks can be fixed or learnt to be lived with (or even loved!) but some things are major red flags, telling you to ditch the relationship pronto. We asked our community to give us their ‘top signs you’re in a shitty relationship’…
So basically, if you recognise any of the below in your relationship...
- There’s no affection or attraction between you.
- You ridicule and dislike each other, rather than love and support each other.
- Either of you is trying to control or dictate the way the other looks, thinks, acts or speaks.
- One or both of you dictate who you can see and what you can do outside the relationship.
- You ever feel scared, anxious or worried when you’re around your partner.
- You have arguments that get physically, or non-physically abusive.
- You feel disrespected or pressured into doing things you’re not comfortable with.
- You lie to each other (beyond “Yes of course I’ve got something planned for your birthday. Yes …tomorrow.”).
- Either of you checks the other’s private messages without enthusiastic permission.
- They like Michael Jackson too much. Or not enough (watch the clip above).
Remember, neither our list, or our community’s suggestions cover EVERY-SHITTY-THING – there are plenty of other relationship red flags, and if you’re worried about any behaviours or things happening in your relationship, and want some advice, contact 1800RESPECT.